Blue Peter is a beautifully restored example of an International 14 racing sailing dinghy and is exhibited in the Museum.
The International 14 is an exciting 2-man racing dinghy. The class was established in 1926 and continues to evolve. Over time the hulls have been built from wood or glassfibre and more recently carbon fibre reinforced polymer. The sailplan is a fractional rigged sloop with a large foresail and often carries an asymmetric spinnaker.
Blue Peter, no. 483: the hull was built from narrow strips of mahogany laid diagonally. It had been badly neglected when two of our members obtained it; the subsequent restoration is truly a work of art.